If you ever traveled to the Far East, I’m pretty sure you may have tried a dessert called Banoffee. It’s some kind of a pie with lots of Dulce de Leche, bananas and cream, and is simply delightful, sweet and so tasty!
This Dulce de Leche cake roll is inspired by the Eastern dessert, and combines Dulce de Leche cake roll with vanilla cream, caramelized bananas and Dulce de Leche for decoration. So good and so easy to make!
Banana Dulce de Leche Cake Roll
30 cm cake roll
For Dulce de Leche cake roll:
3 large eggs
70 grams (1/3 cup) sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
20-30 grams slightly warm Dulce de Leche
For vanilla cream:
375 ml. heavy cream
2 tbsp. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. cream stabilizer or instant vanilla pudding mix
1-2 tbsp. slightly warm Dulce de Leche
2 ripe bananas, sliced
For caramelized bananas:
1 slice banana
Dulce de Leche
Toasted hazelnuts, halved
- Dulce de Leche cake roll: preheat oven to 170c degrees and line oven pan with lightly greased baking paper.
- In a mixer bowl whip eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla at high speed for 5-6 minutes until you get a very fluffy and light mixture.
- Add flour and baking powder and fold gently with a spatula until you get a smooth batter.
- Add Dulce de Leche and stir just until it is assimilated into the batter.
- Pour the batter onto greased baking paper and spread evenly with a spatula to a thin layer.
- Bake for about 6-9 minutes or until set, golden and springy to the touch.
- Cool completely before filling and decoration.
- Vanilla cream: in a mixer bowl, whip cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and cream stabilizer until you get very stable cream.
- Pour about 2/3 amount of cream on the roll and spread evenly. It is recommended to leave a margin of 1-2 cm. Transfer the remaining cream to a pastry bag fitted with jagged 2 cm piping tip.
- Pour some Dulce de leche (using a tablespoon) over the cream layer and sprinkle banana slices.
- Roll tightly and pipe the remaining whipped cream on top.
- Caramelized bananas: put the banana slices on a heat resistant surface and sprinkle with a little sugar. Using a blowtorch burn the bananas until sugar caramelizes. Cool completely before you put on the roll.
- Decorate the roll with caramelized banana slices, halved hazelnut and Dulce de Leche.
- Keep in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days, but is at its best a day or two after preparation.
- Instead of hazelnuts you can decorate with any other kind of nut you like.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.