As a child and up until a few years ago, I didn’t like dried fruit and nuts at all. It has changed greatly as dates and dried apricots have become one of my favorite snacks, and I tend to add all kinds of nuts to just about any cake or cookies I make.
Dried fruit Stollen is a traditional German cake, mostly common around Christmas and New Year. It is rich in a lot of nuts and dried fruit and well kept in a closed container in a cool place for quite a long time. Its texture ranges between a pound cake to Italian Biscotti cookies, and making it is so easy and quick.
Dried Fruit Stollen
- Based on this recipe with some changes and adjustments.
28 cm round cake or 2 loaves
200 grams soft butter
180 grams sugar
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Zest of 1 orange
225 grams cream cheese
45 ml. (3 tbsp.) orange juice
2 large eggs
350 grams all-purpose flour
10 grams baking powder
50 grams walnuts, coarsely chopped
75 grams blanched sliced almonds
3 coarsely chopped pitted dates
100 grams cranberries
80 grams candied ginger, coarsely chopped
25 grams shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 180c degrees.
- In a bowl of a mixer with a paddle attachment place butter, sugar, salt, vanilla and orange zest and blend at high speed until the mixture is creamy, airy and soft.
- Add cheese and mix until it is assimilated into the mixture.
- Add juice and eggs and mix until incorporated.
- Add flour, baking powder, walnuts, almonds, dates, cranberries, ginger and coconut and blend on low speed just until the dough is smooth and slightly sticky.
- Line an oven pan with baking paper.
- With slightly wet hands form a round cake or two loaves at intervals.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and set.
- Cool at room temperature, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- Keep the Stollen cake in an airtight container at room temperature up to a week.
- You can use all kinds of nuts and dried fruit according to personal taste.
- Instead of cream cheese you can use ricotta or low-fat white cheese.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.