Looking for a great dairy free dessert? Try these dairy free eclairs. They are filled with vanilla coconut cream, strawberries and topped with chocolate
Dairy Free Eclairs Filled with Vanilla Coconut Cream, Strawberries and Chocolate
10 medium eclairs
For choux pastry:
125 ml. water
Pinch of salt
30 grams sugar
50 ml. vegetable oil
70 grams all-purpose flour
2 beaten eggs
For vanilla coconut cream:
250 grams coconut cream (at least 17% fat)
70 grams sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla paste (or vanilla extract)
25 grams corn starch
For chocolate decoration:
100 grams melted dark chocolate
1/2 tsp. vegetable oil
10-12 sliced strawberries
Make the eclairs:
- preheat oven to 190c degrees.
- Choux pastry: in a medium saucepan put water, salt, sugar and oil and heat to a strong boil.
- Add flour and stir while cooking, until it turns into a lump of dough.
- Transfer the dough to the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until it cools down a little.
- Add the eggs gradually while beating until dough is elastic and smooth. Check the readiness of dough by creating a “trail” with a wooden spoon in the center of the dough – if the track remains stable, add some eggs, and if it closes a bit – the dough is ready. It is important not to add too many eggs to the dough or it may become too soft and ruined.
- Transfer the dough to a pastry bag fitted with a serrated 2 cm piping tip.
- On a baking tray lined with baking paper, pipe about 10 medium eclairs. It’s important to leave some space between the eclairs.
- Baking: bake for 12-15 minutes at first. Than reduce oven temperature to 180c degrees and continue to bake for 7-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool completely before filling.
- Once cooled, cut the eclairs lengthwise before filling.
Coconut and vanilla cream:
- In a small pan put coconut cream and vanilla and bring to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch.
- Pour about 1/3 of cream mixture into the egg yolks while whisking well until incorporated. Then add the remaining cream and continue to mix until blended.
- Return the cream to the pan and cook over medium heat while whisking until a thick pastry cream
- Remove from the heat and transfer into a flat container. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and chill for 2-3 hours until completely cold.
- Transfer the cream into a bowl and whisk, until it returns to its original texture.
- Transfer the cream into a piping bag and fill the eclairs. Add sliced strawberries and close the top.
- mix melted chocolate and oil in a small bowl and transfer into a small piping bag.
- Drizzle small strips of melted dark chocolate on top of each éclair and serve.
- Keep the eclairs in a closed container in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days. Add the strawberries just before serving.
- You can use raspberries or blueberries instead of strawberries.