This chocolate cake is one of the most delicious cake there is – it’s full of dark chocolate, hazelnuts and coffee, gluten free and so easy to make. It’s just the perfect chocolate cake and everyone loves it!
Coffee Hazelnut Chocolate Cake
Servings 22 cm round cake pan
For the cake:
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- 150 grams (1 stick + 2 tbsp.) butter
- 4 large eggs
- 200 grams (1 cup) sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. instant coffee powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 150 grams (1 1/2 cups) ground hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
For chocolate ganache:
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 100 ml. (1/2 cup) whipping cream
- Toasted hazelnuts halved
Preheat oven to 160c degrees and lightly grease the pan.
Chop the chocolate and put in a bowl. Add the butter and melt together in the microwave or over double-boiler.
In a mixer bowl whip eggs, sugar, salt, instant coffee and cinnamon for about 6-7 minutes at high speed or until you get an airy and fluffy mixture.
Fold the whipped eggs into the melted chocolate mixture until the mixture is almost combined.
Add ground nuts, cocoa powder and baking powder and continue to gently fold just until blended.
Transfer the mixture into the pan and bake for about 35-45-or until the cake is set on the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool completely before decoration.
Chocolate ganache: chop the chocolate and put in a small bowl.
In a small saucepan bring the cream to simmer. Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate, wait a minute, and beat until you get a uniform and shiny chocolate ganache.
Remove the cake from the pan and place on a serving dish.
Cover the cake with chocolate ganache and garnish with hazelnuts.
Serve at room temperature.
- Nondairy version: use 120 grams of coconut oil instead of butter in the cake, and 100 grams of coconut cream instead of cream in the ganache.
- Serve the cake at room temperature.
- Keep the cake in a sealed container in the refrigerator up to 6-7 days.
- It is possible to omit the cinnamon and/or add other spices according to personal taste.