If you like coffee and halva – I’m sure you’re going to LOVE these coffee sandwich cookies! It’s a coffee cookie sandwich filled with halva spread (available in ethnic food stores or health stores), and decorated with some melted dark chocolate. So yummy!
Coffee Sandwich Cookies filled with Halva
For the coffee sandwich cookies:
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) soft butter
- 125 grams (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp.) sugar
- 1/4 tsp. fine salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. instant coffee powder
- 1 large egg
- 180 grams (1 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- light brown sugar for coating
For the filling:
- Halva spread
- 50 grams dark chocolate optional
Coffee sandwich cookies:
In mixer bowl with paddle-attachment whip butter, sugar, salt, coffee and vanilla until mixture is creamy and smooth.
Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and add an egg. Continue to blend the mixture until it is absorbed.
Add flour and baking powder and mix until the dough is smooth.
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, flatten slightly and let cool for about 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 170c degrees and line oven trays with baking paper.
Create small balls (the size of a walnut) from the dough and coat them in sugar. Place on the baking trays.
Flatten top of the cookies slightly with your hands and bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden and set at the edges but still slightly soft in the center.
Cool completely before filling.
Assemble the cookie sandwich:
Arrange sets of cookies and fill with halva spread.
Melt the chocolate and transfer into a small pastry bag.
Pipe thin strips on the cookies and let cool a few minutes in the refrigerator to set. Serve.
- You can fill the cookies with any other spread you like.
- Instead of dark chocolate you can decorate the cookies white or milk chocolate as well.
- Keep the cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 days.