Upcoming Passover is the perfect excuse to make a fancy looking dessert that requires a little more time than usual. This coffee and chocolate entremet is one of the best desserts I made in a long while.
It’s made of crunchy almond and chocolate base, topped with cardamom coffee cream, dark chocolate sheets and cinnamon cream. Serving this chocolate entremet after a festive Seder feast will make everyone say WOW – guaranteed!
Coffee and Chocolate Entremet
For crunchy almond and chocolate base:
- 200 grams praline paste
- 100 grams chopped milk chocolate
- 75 grams butter
- 50 grams Rice Krispies
- 30 grams chopped almonds
For cardamom coffee cream:
- 500 ml. milk
- 1 tbsp. granulated instant coffee
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 140 grams sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 50 grams cornstarch
- 100 grams soft butter
For dark chocolate sheets:
- 170 grams chopped dark chocolate
- 5 grams cocoa butter
- 80 grams dark chocolate (very finely chopped)
For cinnamon cream:
- 375 ml. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. sugar powder
- 50 grams chopped dark chocolate
- 50 ml. heavy cream
- Whole almonds
- Crushed cocoa beans
Crunchy almond and chocolate base:
- In a bowl put praline paste, chocolate and butter and melt in the microwave until mixture is smooth.
- Add in Rice Krispies and almonds and mix until blended and thick.
- Spread the mixture onto 2 baking trays lined with parchment paper and flatten into 1-2 cm thick.
- Cool for at least an hour in the freezer.
- Using a long sharp knife, cut the Crunch into 20 rectangles about 8*3 cm in size and keep in the freezer until assembling the desserts.
Cardamom coffee cream:
- In a small saucepan heat milk, coffee, vanilla and cardamom to simmering point.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch.
- Pour about 1/3 of milk mixture into the yolk mixture, while whisking intensely until smooth.
- Return the cream into the pan with the remaining milk, whisk and cook over medium heat while whisking constantly until a very thick cream is formed.
- Remove from heat and add butter. Whisk until completely dissolved in the mixture.
- Transfer the cream in a flat container and cover the surface with plastic wrap in order to avoid crust formation.
- Cool for about 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Transfer the cream into a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Transfer the cream into a pastry bag fitted with 1 cm round piping tip and refrigerate until assembly.
Dark chocolate sheets:
- Put 170 grams of chopped dark chocolate and cocoa butter together in a bowl and melt in the microwave, until the chocolate melts and reaches a temperature of 45-50c degrees.
- Add the finely chopped chocolate and stir well with a spatula until the chocolate has cooled slightly and reaches a temperature of 28-29c degrees.
- Gently heat again the melted chocolate mixture for several seconds in the microwave until it reaches a temperature of 32c degrees.
- Transfer the chocolate onto a pan lined with baking paper and spread into a thin 2-3 mm thick layer, using a palate knife or a spatula.
- Cool in the freezer for a few minutes, just until the chocolate begins to set.
- Cut the chocolate into 8*3 cm rectangles.
- Return to the freezer until completely set.
- In a bowl of a mixer whip cream, cinnamon and sugar powder until stable whipped cream is formed.
- Transfer the cream into a pastry bag with a round piping tip.
- Assemble the desserts: pipe mounds of coffee cream on each crunchy base.
- Place chocolate sheet over each dessert and press gently to stick to cream.
- Pipe mounds of cinnamon cream and add another chocolate sheet on top.
- Keep in the freezer until serving and decoration.
- Put chocolate and cream in a small bowl and melt in the microwave until you get a uniform ganache.
- Cool the ganache in the refrigerator until it reaches a texture of a paste. Make sure to whisk the ganache every few minutes in order for it to get to the best texture.
- Transfer into a small piping bag fitted with small serrated piping tip.
- Pipe a ling strip of chocolate ganache over each dessert and decorate with whole almonds and shredded cocoa beans.
- Keep the chocolate entremet in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.