Easy to make, so good and a great treat next to your coffee cup – coconut cake with maple and sour cherries that is simply irresistible.
Coconut Cake with Maple and Sour Cherries
Servings 2 loaf pans (25 cm in length)
For the cake:
- 3 large eggs
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
- 30 ml. (2 tbsp.) maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 180 ml. (3/4 cup) water
- 120 ml. (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 210 grams (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 100 grams (1 cup) shredded coconut
- 25 grams (1/4 cup) quick oats
- 400 grams sour cherries strained
- Icing sugar for decoration
Preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pans.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, maple, vanilla, salt, water and oil until the mixture is smooth and thin.
Add flour, baking powder, shredded coconut and quick oats and mix just until incorporated.
Add the cherries and mix gently just until evenly dispersed.
Pour the mixture into the pans, and smooth the top.
Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool completely, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- Keep the cakes in a closed container in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days, but it is recommended to serve at room temperature.
- You can use fresh cherries instead of sour cherries.
- You can use almond meal instead of shredded coconut.