Even though I like making french patisserie cakes, there nothing like a good pound cake next to my coffee cup.
This cake is one of my personal favorites, and it combines between two classical flavors – chocolate and vanilla all in one.
It’s super moist, very easy to make, and if you start now – you’ll have a great treat for your next break.
Nostalgic marble cake
- Based on a classic recipe by Israel Aharoni with changes and adjustments.
150 grams dark chocolate
125 ml. (1/2 cup) milk
2 tsp. cocoa powder
150 grams soft butter
200 grams (1 cup) sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3 large eggs
300 ml. sour cream
280 grams (2 cups) all-purpose flour
30 grams (3 tbsp.) cornstarch
2 tsp. baking powder
Icing sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan well.
- Chop the chocolate and put in a bowl.
- Add milk and solvents together in the microwave or over double-boiler, until everything is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add cocoa powder and stir well until incorporated.
- In a bowl of a mixer with a paddle-attachment, mix butter, sugar, vanilla and salt until creamy, airy and bright.
- Scrape the sides of the mixer using a spatula and add the eggs one at a time, while mixing between additions.
- Add the sour cream and continue to blend until it is assimilated into the mixture.
- Add flour, cornstarch and baking powder and mix until blended.
- Transfer about 1/3 of the mixture into a bowl and add in the melted chocolate. Mix until smooth.
- Assembly: pour about half the plain mixture into the pan and level the top.
- Pour the chocolate mixture on top and then the remaining plain batter.
- Using a knife make a marble shape.
- Bake the cake for about 35-45 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Cool completely to room temperature, garnish with powdered sugar and serve.
- Keep the cake in a closed container in the refrigerator up to 5-6 days.
- Serve the cake at room temperature or slightly warm.
- You can use milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.