Even though Krembo is usually related to winter here, I like making it at home all the time. It’s easy and even more delicious when served frozen.
It’s made of a round buttery cookie base topped with vanilla meringue and dipped in chocolate coating. So delicious and kids go crazy for it!
Chocolate and Vanilla Krembo
16 medium pieces
For the cookie base:
50 grams cold butter, cut into cubes
25 grams sugar
75 grams all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1-2 tbsp. milk
For the meringue:
3 large egg whites at room temperature
Pinch of salt
200 grams sugar
40 grams water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
For chocolate coating:
200-250 grams dark chocolate
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Make the cookies: preheat oven to 170c degrees.
- In a food processor with steel blade put butter, sugar, flour, vanilla and salt and blend until small crumbles form.
- Add the milk gradually and continue to process just until large clumps of dough are formed.
- Transfer the dough chunks on a lightly floured work surface, combine with your hands and make a round disc shape.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1/2 cm thick and cut out 5-6 cm circles.
- Arrange the cookies on an oven pan lined with baking paper.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes or until golden. Cool completely.
- Italian meringue: in an electric mixer bowl with whisking attachment put egg whites and salt.
- In a small saucepan put sugar and water and heat to dissolve the sugar until the syrup reaches a temperature of about 115-118c degrees. When the syrup reaches 105c degrees, begin whipping the egg whites and salt on medium speed.
- When the syrup is ready remove from heat, increase the mixer speed to high and add in the syrup in a thin stream while whipping.
- Beat meringue for 6-10 minutes or until it is very stable. Towards the end of whipping, add the vanilla.
- Transfer the meringue to a pastry bag fitted with a round 2-3 cm piping tip. Pipe a tall generous mound of meringue over each cookie.
- Cool the krembos in the freezer for about an hour.
- Chocolate coating: melt the chocolate and put in a tall glass.
- Add oil and mix until incorporated.
- Dip the frozen krembos in the melted chocolate, shake off excess chocolate and place on a pan to set. Cool for about 10 minutes in the freezer and serve.
- You can add flavors to the meringue: grated peel of citrus, spices, coffee and so on.
- Keep the Krembo in a sealed box in the freezer up to one week.
- You can use milk or white chocolate for coating as well.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.