Purim is a great holiday for kids, and one of the classic cookies in these festive days are Hamantaschen. The following hamantaschen cookies has chocolate cookie crust and are filled with pistachio cream. On top I drizzled some melted white chocolate and everyone just loved them.
Chocolate and Pistachio Hamantaschen Cookies
For chocolate dough:
- 140 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 100 grams (1 stick) cold butter cut into cubes
- 30 grams (3 tbsp.) cocoa powder
- 50 grams (5 tbsp.) sugar powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1-2 tbsp. milk if necessary
For pistachio and white chocolate cream filling:
- 50 grams (1/2 cup) natural pistachios
- 30 grams (3 tbsp.) sugar
- 25 (1 tbsp. + 1 tsp.) cold butter cut into cubes
- 25 grams white chocolate chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp. milk
- 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 50 grams white chocolate melted
Chocolate dough: in a food processor with a steel blade put flour, butter, cocoa powder, sugar powder and salt and blend until mixture is crumbly.
Add egg and continue to blend only until large chunks of dough form. If the dough stays crumbly, gradually add some milk.
Transfer the dough chunks on a lightly floured work surface, form a disc shape and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about an hour.
Pistachio and white chocolate cream: in a food processor with a steel blade (no need to wash after preparing the dough) put pistachios, sugar, butter, white chocolate and salt and process until everything is minced and blended.
Add egg yolk, milk and flour and continue to blend until a very thick cream form.
On a floured surface roll out the dough about 3-4 mm thick and cut out 7-8 cm circles.
In the center of each circle put a small amount (about a teaspoon) of the filling and close tightly into a triangular shape.
Place the hamantaschen on an oven pan lined with baking paper.
Cool the cookies in the fridge for half an hour before baking.
Preheat oven to 170c degrees.
Bake for 12-18 minutes or until golden and set.
Cool completely before decoration.
Decoration: melt white chocolate and put in a small piping bag.
Drizzle thin strips of chocolate on top of each hamantaschen and serve.
- Instead of pistachio you can use any other nut you like.
- Keep the hamantaschen cookies in a sealed jar at room temperature for up to 5-6 days.