Chocolate, Pecan and Praline Cake
24 cm round cake pan
For chocolate and pecan cake:
200 grams dark chocolate
150 grams butter
150 grams sugar
Pinch of salt
3 large eggs
75 grams all-purpose flour (or cornstarch for gluten-free version)
25 grams ground pecans
1 tsp. baking powder
Chocolate and praline truffles domes:
100 grams dark chocolate
75 ml. heavy cream
1 tbsp. praline paste
Pinch of salt
Praline Chantilly cream:
250 ml. heavy cream
1 tbsp. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. praline paste
1 tbsp. cream stabilizer of instant vanilla pudding mix
Bittersweet chocolate, chopped
A little gold dust
- Chocolate and pecan cake: preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan.
- Chop the chocolate and put in a bowl. Add butter and melt together in the microwave or over double boiler until everything is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add sugar and salt and beat until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, while whisking between additions.
- Add flour, ground pecans and baking powder and mix just until incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the pan, and smooth the top.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs and its central part is slightly soft.
- Cool completely before assembly and decoration. The cake does not rise a lot when baking and that’s fine.
- Chocolate and praline truffles domes: chop the chocolate and put in a bowl.
- Heat a small pot of cream, praline past and salt to a simmer.
- Pour the cream mixture over the chopped chocolate, wait a minute, and beat until you get a smooth ganache.
- Pour the ganache into a 3-4 cm silicon dome mold pan and flatten the top.
- Freeze the domes for 1-2 hours or until they are completely frozen.
- Praline cream: in a bowl of a mixer whip cream, powdered sugar, praline paste and cream stabilizer until cream is formed.
- Transfer the whipped cream into a pastry bag fitted with jagged 1-2 cm piping tip.
- Assemble and decorate the cake: extract the truffles domes from the pan and spread freely at the top of the cake.
- Pipe praline cream in between truffles domes.
- Garnish with pecans, chopped chocolate and a little gold dust.
- Keep the cake in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- Praline paste can be obtained in baking specialty stores for products and materials.
- Instead of pecans you can use any other type of nut you like.
- If you want higher Cake, bake in a 20cm round pan.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.