Celebrating a birthday soon? You gotta make these chocolate eclairs with frosting and sprinkles! These chocolate eclairs are so delicious, festive and colorful, and the kids will LOVE them.
Chocolate Eclairs with Sprinkles
20-25 small chocolate eclairs
For choux pastry:
250 ml. milk
Pinch of salt
60 grams sugar
100 grams butter
140 grams all-purpose flour
3-4 beaten eggs
For dark chocolate cream:
1 gram gelatin powder
5 ml. water
250 ml. heavy cream
200 ml. milk
Pinch of salt
50 grams sugar
4 large egg yolks
250 grams chopped dark chocolate
For the glaze:
Natural Fondant glaze
- Choux pastry: in a small pot put milk, salt, sugar and butter and bring to a strong boil over high heat.
- Once the mixture boils, remove from heat and add in the flour all at once.
- With a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until smooth dough is formed and separated from the sides of the pot.
- Transfer the dough into the bowl of a mixer with a paddle-attachment and blend for 2-3 minutes, until slightly cooled.
- Add the eggs gradually while beating until dough is elastic and smooth. Check the readiness of dough by creating a “trail” with a wooden spoon in the center of the dough – if the track remains stable, add some eggs, and if it closes a bit – the dough is ready. It is important not to add too many eggs to the dough or it may become too soft and ruined.
- Transfer the dough into a pastry bag with a large serrated piping tip and drizzle 20-25 eclairs on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Preheat oven 190c degrees.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. It is very important not to open the oven door during this time.
- After about 15 minutes, open the door slightly by sticking a wooden spoon handle in it, and bake for another 7-10 minutes, or until evenly golden.
- Cool completely at room temperature before filling and decoration.
- Dark chocolate cream: in a small bowl mix gelatin and water and set aside for 10-15 minutes at room temperature, until the gelatin absorbs the liquid.
- In a medium saucepan put cream, milk and salt and heat to simmering point.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until smooth.
- Pour about 1/3 of the hot cream mixture over the yolks, while whisking.
- Add the yolk mixture into the pan with the remaining cream and stir with a sweet tooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 82-84c degrees.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the microwave and add into the cream.
- Strain and add in chopped chocolate. Wait a minute, and beat until creamy and smooth.
- Cool the cream in sealed box in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours at least.
- Make 2 small holes at the bottom of each eclair.
- Transfer the cream into a pastry bag with a small round piping tip and fill the eclairs.
- Coatings: heat the fondant in a small saucepan until it reaches 40-45c degrees.
- Dip the top of each éclair in fondant and shake off excess coating. The coating should be quite thin.
- Sprinkle with colored candies and leave to set at room temperature.
- keep the chocolate eclairs in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, but they are at their best on the day of preparation.