Chocolate cake is the one thing I make at least once a week. Each time I make it it’s different, but it has to have chocolate inside!
This chocolate cake combines chocolate cake with some added ground coffee for aroma, topped with luscious peanut butter cream, shiny chocolate ganache and peanut butter chips for decoration. It’s easy to make and great for peanut butter lovers.
Coffee Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Cream
For coffee chocolate cake:
- 100 grams (1 stick) melted butter
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) dark brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) sugar
- 1 tsp. instant coffee powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour see notes for gluten-free version
- 40 grams (4 tbsp.) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) dark chocolate chips
For peanut butter cream:
- 150 grams (2/3 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 30 grams (2 tbsp.) soft butter
- 85 grams (2/3 cup) icing sugar
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) whipping cream very cold
- 1 tsp. instant vanilla pudding mix
For chocolate ganache:
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) whipping cream
- Peanut butter chips
Coffee and chocolate cake: preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan.
In a large bowl, whisk butter, brown sugar, sugar, coffee, vanilla and salt until mixture is smooth.
Add eggs and milk and beat until blended.
Add flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and stir just until incorporated.
Add chocolate chips and fold gently until it is evenly dispersed in the mixture.
Pour the mixture into the pan and level the top.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cake is set at the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool completely at room temperature.
Peanut butter cream: in a bowl of a mixer with a whipping-attachment put peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
Add heavy cream and stabilizer and beat at high speed until thick cream forms.
Pour the cream over the cake, and smooth evenly using a palate knife.
Cool for about 1/2 hour in the refrigerator.
Chocolate ganache: chop the chocolate and put in a bowl.
Add heavy cream and solvents together in the microwave or over double-boiler until everything is melted and mixture is smooth.
Pour the chocolate coating on top of the peanut butter cream and cool the cake in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours until set.
Before serving, garnish with peanut butter chips.
- Keep the cake in a closed container in the refrigerator up to 5-6 days.
- It is recommended to take it out of the fridge about 10 minutes before serving.
- Gluten-free version: converters flour with cornstarch.