One of the things I like most about winter is oranges. As soon as winter begins and I see them on every market – I but oranges like I’m mad and bake-bake-bake with this fragrant fruit. I love the sweetness, the tartness and the freshness it brings to any kind of cake or pastry. Oranges are simply a delight!
These chocolate chip orange muffins are so easy to make. They are super fragrant and would make a great treat to have with your coffee cup on cold winter days. You only need one bowl and a whisk in order to make them, and the result is simply amazing. they would also make a delicious breakfast or snack on the go, and kids will love them!
Chocolate Chip Orange Muffins
For the muffins:
- 2 large eggs
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) sugar
- 50 ml. (3 tbsp.) vegetable oil
- 200 ml. (1 cup) sour cream
- 2 tbsp. orange liqueur
- Zest of whole orange
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 210 grams (1 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 40 grams (1/3 cup) oatmeal
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
- 100 grams dark chocolate coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 180c degrees and lightly grease a muffin pan.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, oil, sour cream, liqueur, orange zest, salt and vanilla until blended.
Add flour, oats, baking powder and chocolate and stir with a large spatula just until incorporated. It is very important not to mix the mixture too much!
Transfer the batter to the pan, and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown, set and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out with some moist crumbs.
Cool completely at room temperature and serve.
- Keep the muffins in a closed box at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. Beyond that, it is recommended to keep in the refrigerator.
- The muffins can be frozen up to a month in a sealed bag.
- Instead of orange liqueur you can use brandy or rum. If desired, you can add chopped nuts to the batter.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.