I really like chocolate chip granola cookies – the added oats in the cookies gives them a chewy texture, they are very fragrant and make a delicious snack with a cup of coffee or tea. There is something about granola cookies that makes you feel “healthy”. However, I don’t really believe oatmeal makes them healthy with the sugar and butter inside, though they are certainly healthy for the soul 😉
Just before returning back to school, I decided to make these chocolate chip granola cookies with almonds that could fit very well in your lunch bag as a small sweet treat. They are golden and very tasty, made from only whole spelt flour, and are really easy to make. If desired, you can also add raisins or cranberries to enhance the flavors and textures.
Chocolate Chip Granola Cookies with Almonds
For the cookies:
- 100 grams of soft butter
- 100 grams of dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 140 grams of whole spelt flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 175 grams of oatmeal
- 150 grams of chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- 150 grams coarsely chopped almonds
Preheat oven to 170 Celsius degrees and line baking trays with baking paper.
In a mixer bowl with a paddle attachment, place butter, sugar, vanilla and salt and whip at high speed mixers until a uniform and smooth creamy mixture is obtained.
Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and add in the egg. Whisk until the egg is incorporated into the mixture.
Add flour, baking soda and oatmeal and mix only until large chunks of dough form.
Add chopped chocolate and almonds and mix until combined.
Create walnut-sized balls and arrange them at intervals on the baking trays. Flatten the cookies slightly with your hands.
Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Completely cool and serve.
- Instead of almonds you can use any kind of nuts you like.
- You can use dark, milk or white chocolate chips.
- The cookies are kept in a sealed jar for up to a week.
- The cookies can be frozen for up to a month in an airtight container.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.