As a food blogger and content creator, I tend to celebrate holidays earlier than when they arrive. So, this is not a surprise I fry donuts (sufganiyot) and fritters (levivot) for almost a month; even though Hanukkah is only in about a week.
The following fritters are the first of a variety of delicious Hanukkah treats to be published in the coming days – chocolate chip fritters. Do not let their name fool you: they can totally go as a kind of pancakes for a sweet breakfast or a weekend brunch. You can definitely enjoy them throughout the year and not just on Hanukkah days.
The preparation requires only one bowl and only takes few minutes. As soon as these are out of the pan, they are delicious warm and fresh with some powdered sugar and maple syrup.
Looking for more Hanukkah desserts? Try these: Churros with Chocolate Sauce | Homemade Donuts | Lukumades – Greek Doughnuts | Grandma’s Traditional Quick Doughnuts
Chocolate Chip Fritters
For the fritters:
- 250 grams ricotta cheese or farmer’s cheese
- 250 ml. (1 cup) heavy or double cream
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 20 grams (2 tbsp.) cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 100 grams dark chocolate chips
- sugar powder
- maple or chocolate syrup
In a bowl, mix together cheese, cream, sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, flour, cornstarch and baking powder until a uniform mixture is obtained.
Add chocolate chips and mix gently to spread evenly in the mixture.
Heat oil in a pan and fry in small pancakes until golden on both sides.
Transfer to a serving plate.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve hot with maple syrup and / or chocolate syrup.
- The fritters are best when hot and fresh, but can be kept in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to two days. It is recommended to reheat a little before serving.
- Instead of ricotta or farmer’s cheese, you can use the same amount of Greek yogurt instead.
- Gluten-free version: Use gluten free flour mix in the same amount instead of all-purpose flour.
- Instead of chocolate chips, you can use frozen blueberries (not thawed) or fresh berries.