This chocolate and cherry babka is perfect for the summer! It combines chocolate filling with fresh cherries, which make it super moist, soft and delicious.
Chocolate and Cherry Babka
Servings 2 loaf pans (25 cm in length)
For the dough:
- 500 grams (3 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 8 grams (2 tsp.) active dry yeast
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) soft butter
- 30 ml. (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
- 70 grams (1/3 cup) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 200 ml. (1 cups) sour cream
- 50 ml. (3 tbsp.) milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
For chocolate and cherry filling:
- 350 grams chocolate spread I used Nutella
- 150-200 grams pitted fresh cherries
- 50-70 grams chocolate chips
- Beaten egg for brushing
For the syrup:
- 80 grams (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp.) sugar
- 80 ml. (1/3 cup) water
- 2 tbsp. cherry liqueur
In a bowl of a mixer with a dough-hook put flour, yeast, butter, oil, sugar, eggs, sour cream, milk, salt and vanilla and knead at low speed for 10-12 minutes until the dough is uniform and slightly sticky.
Cover the bowl and let the dough rise until doubled the volume (this should take about an hour at room temperature).
Divide the dough into 2 parts.
On a floured work surface, roll each part of the dough into a rectangle about 3-4 mm thick.
Spread half of the chocolate spread and sprinkle with half of the cherries and chocolate chips evenly.
Roll the dough tightly, forming a cylinder shape, and cut across the center lengthwise forming 2 strands. Braid the two strands and place in a lightly greased mold.
Repeat with the second part of the dough and the remaining filling.
Cover the cakes and let rise until almost doubled in volume.
Preheat oven 175c degrees.
Brush the risen cakes with egg and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and set.
Syrup: in a small saucepan heat sugar and water and cook for about 2-3 minutes after boiling until the sugar has dissolved.
Remove from the stove and add the cherry liqueur.
Brush the cakes with syrup and serve.
- You can use any kind of berry you want instead of cherries.
- The cakes are best on the day of preparation.
- You can freeze the cakes, tightly wrapped for 2-3 weeks.