Carrot cake is probably one of my favorite pound cakes, because I like its density, sweetness and texture. These carrot muffins are some-what between a cake and a muffin – it’s dense and packed with rich flavors of carrots and zucchini, and I love eating them for breakfast. It’s made with whole wheat flour which makes them healthy and nutty in flavor.
Carrot Muffins with Zucchini
For the muffins:
- 2 large eggs separated and at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) sugar (if you prefer sweeter muffins – add another 50 grams)
- 45 ml. (3 tbsp.) vegetable oil
- 30 ml. (2 tbsp.) lemon juice
- 30 ml. (2 tbsp.) water
- 8 grams (2 tsp.) ground cinnamon
- 150 grams (2 medium sized units) finely grated carrots
- 150 grams (2 medium sized units) finely grated zucchini
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
- 60 grams (1/2 cup) whole wheat flour
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
Preheat oven to 170c degrees and line a muffin pan with paper cups.
In a mixer bowl with whipping attachment, whip egg whites and salt at high speed until white foam begins to form.
Add sugar gradually, and continue whipping until the white, soft and bright meringue forms.
In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, oil, lemon juice, water and cinnamon until blended.
Reduce the mixer speed and add the yolk mixture in a thin stream while whipping slowly, until the mixture is uniform.
Add grated carrots and zucchini, flour, whole wheat flour and baking powder and mix slowly until you get a smooth batter.
Using 2 tablespoons or an ice cream scoop, fill the paper cup up to 3/4 of its height.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the muffins get a beautiful golden shade and are set and fully baked.
Cool completely and serve. If you wish, you can sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top.
- The muffins aren't too sweet, so if you prefer a sweeter version – simply add about 50 grams of sugar to the recipe.
- You can use brown sugar instead of white sugar.
- Keep the muffins in a close container in the refrigerator up to 5-6 days, but you should serve it at room temperature.
- You can add chopped nuts to the batter.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.