Have you ever heard of Brutit Ma Buoni cookies? These are Italian hazelnut cookies with the most formidable name in the world which in translation literally means “ugly but good”. I tasted them for the first time in Italy quite a few years ago and fell in love not only with this perfect genuine name but also with the wonderful taste of the cookies.
In general, I really like the Italian confectionery, which gives a lot of respect to cookies and high quality ingredients. There are so many types of cookies in Italy that slowly I hope I can create homemade versions for them as well. And today – here’s my version of Brutti Ma Buoni! They are made from only 5 ingredients and in less than an hour you already have delicious cookies next to the coffee (espresso, for that matter – we’re in Italy).
Made with no flour or dairy, these cookies have the perfect rich taste of hazelnuts. You just have to try them for the weekend and in general. I would love to hear how it turned out!
Looking for more cookie recipe? Try these: Vegan tahini chocolate chip cookies | Chocolate Chip Granola Cookies with Almonds | Hazelnut Cookies with Coffee and Chocolate | Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Brutti Ma Buoni – Italian Hazelnut Cookies
For the dough:
- 150 grams of roasted and peeled hazelnuts
- 165 grams of powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 180 Celsius degrees.
In a food processor with a steel blade grind the nuts, powdered sugar, salt and vanilla until a fine powder is obtained.
Add the egg white and process until large chunks of dough are obtained.
Roll small balls of cookies between your palms and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool completely and serve.
- The cookies are at their best on the day of baking, but can be kept in an airtight jar for up to a week.
- The cookies can be frozen for up to a month in an airtight container.
- Almonds can be used instead of hazelnuts. The taste of course will change accordingly.
- It is important not to give up on salt!
- You can decorate the cookies with a little melted chocolate on top if you want.