Streusel cakes are one of the favorite cakes in our family. My spouse likes to eat it in the morning next to his coffee cup, and I like serving it warm with some ice cream on the side at family dinners.
This cake has not only a generous layer of golden and crispy streusel, but also lots of berries that become soft and jam-like after baking. So good!
Berries and Streusel Cake
3 large eggs
200 grams (1 cup) sugar
200 ml. sour cream
125 ml. (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
350 grams (2 and a half cups) all-purpose flour
10 grams (2 tsp.) baking powder
200 grams frozen berries (not thawed)
For the streusel:
70 grams (1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
70 grams (1/3 cup) light brown sugar
75 grams cold butter, cut into cubes
2-3 tbsp. sliced blanched almonds
Icing sugar for serving
- Preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, sour cream, oil, salt and vanilla until blended.
- Add flour and baking powder and stir quickly just until blended.
- Pour the batter into the pan, and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the frozen berries on top.
- Streusel: in a medium bowl put flour, sugar and butter cubes and mix with your hands until dough crumbs form.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over the berries evenly, and add some sliced almonds.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the cake is golden, set and a skewer inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Cool at room temperature, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- Keep the cake in a closed container in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.
- You can use fresh berries instead of frozen.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.