No matter how many fancy cakes or high-class desserts, pound cakes will forever be my favorite cakes in the world. A lovely aroma of a cake baking while in the oven, is undoubtedly one of the greatest pleasures in my eyes. And the fact that pound cakes take a few minutes of preparation this is just a nice bonus.
I began to love poppy only in recent years. But since then I use poppy seeds quite a lot in my recipes, in every opportunity. This apple poppy seeds cake is amazing and so-so easy to make. It’s soft, delicate, fragrant and just wonderful along-side a cup of coffee. I like to serve it warm, so it’s in a its perfect texture, but even when it is served right from the fridge it is excellent.
This cake is just the kind of cakes that are easy to prepare and something delicious to enjoy throughout the week.
Looking for more easy to make pond cakes? Click here >>
Apple Poppy Seeds Cake
For the cake:
- 3 large eggs
- 125 ml. (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 200 grams (1 cup) sugar
- 200 ml. (1 cup) sour cream (see notes for dairy-free version)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 150 grams (1 ½ cups) freshly ground poppy seeds
- 175 grams (1 ¼ cups) all-purpose flour
- 10 grams (2 tbsp.) baking powder
- 3-4 Granny Smith apples
- sugar powder
Preheat the oven to 175 Celsius degrees.
In a large bowl, mix eggs, oil, sugar, sour cream, vanilla and salt into a uniform mixture.
Add in the poppy seeds, flour and baking powder and mix until combined.
Peel the apples and cut into small 2*2 cm cubes.
Add the apple cubes to the mixture and mix gently until they are evenly dispersed in the batter.
Pour the mixture into the pans and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs.
Cool completely, decorate with a little powdered sugar and serve.
- Keep the cake in a closed container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- It is recommended to serve the cake warm or at room temperature, so it is at its best in terms of texture.
- It is important to use only fresh ground poppy seeds, which can be obtained at any spice store.
- If you wish, you can also add chopped nuts to the batter.
- Dairy free version: instead of sour cream you can use coconut cream in the same amount.