Almond cookies are always simple, easy to make and so tasty. It’s everyone’s favorite, and you just can’t go wrong if you bring a batch in a nice cookie jar of tin can.
These almond cookies are also very easy to make – a short crust pastry base topped with almond and honey layer with a great caramelized texture (without making caramel!). so easy and so delicious!
Almond and Honey Florentine Cookies
20*20 cm square pan
For short crust pastry:
75 grams cold butter, cut into cubes
50 grams icing sugar
100 grams all-purpose flour
35 grams cornstarch
A pinch of baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp. milk (as needed)
For almond and honey layer:
50 grams sugar
2 tbsp. water
20 grams honey
45 ml. heavy cream
100 grams sliced blanched almonds
1 tbsp. cornstarch
Pinch of salt
Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Crust: preheat oven to 170c degrees and grease the pan.
- In a food processor with a steel blade put butter, icing sugar, flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and vanilla and process until mixture is crumbly.
- Add a tablespoon of milk and continue to process just until dough clumps form. If the dough is not combining, add another tablespoon of milk.
- Transfer the dough chunks into the pan and press tightly with your hands to form a base.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool slightly at room temperature.
- Almond and honey layer: in a large skillet put sugar, water, honey and form caramel.
- Meanwhile, heat cream and add into the skillet as soon as the caramel is ready.
- Mix well until a smooth caramel sauce is formed.
- Add almonds, cornstarch, salt and lemon zest and mix into a smooth mixture.
- Pour the almonds on top of the baked crust and level the top as much as possible in a thin layer.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the golden and set.
- Cool completely, cut into squares and serve.
- Keep the cookies in a sealed jar at room temperature up to a week.
- Instead of almonds you can use any other kind of nut you like.
- You can use maple or date syrup instead of honey.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.