Making challahs at home is simple, very easy and the result is always better than store-bought challah. This soft challah is made with only 5 ingredients (water doesn’t count ;)), and is super soft, airy and so tasty.
5 Ingredients Soft Challah
Servings 2 medium challahs
For the dough:
- 500 grams (3 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 10 grams (2 tsp.) active dry yeast
- 30 ml. (2 tbsp.) vegetable oil
- 10 grams (1 1/2 tsp.) fine salt
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) sugar
- 275 ml. (1 cup + 2 tbsp.) water
For brushing and decoration (optional):
- A little water
- Sesame seeds poppy seeds or sunflower seeds
In a bowl of a mixer with a dough hook place flour, yeast, oil, salt, sugar and water and knead on low-medium speed for about 10-12 minutes until the dough is smooth.
Cover the bowl and allow rising for 1-2 hours or until the dough doubles in volume.
Transfer the dough on a lightly floured work surface and divide to 6 pieces (or less, depending on the desired braiding technique).
Roll each piece of dough into long strip and braid a challah.
Place the challah on an oven pan lined with baking paper, cover and let rise for about an hour or until it nearly doubles in volume.
Gently brush the challah with some water and sprinkle sesame, poppy seeds or sunflower seeds.
Preheat oven to 180c degrees.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden and set.
Remove from oven and cover with a towel. Cool completely covered with a towel.
- The challah is at its best on the day of baking, but you can freeze it up to a month in a sealed bag.
- Instead of sugar you can use honey, date syrup or maple the same amount. Flavors will vary accordingly.
- If you want, you can add raisins or cranberries to the dough.