Sesame Street was my favorite kids-show when I was a little girl. I remember how I got back home from school and just couldn’t wait for the show to start! I especially loved Elmo and Cookie Monster, but really loved each and every thing in this program.
These cupcakes are inspired by a lot of designs I saw on the web. It’s super fudgy chocolate cupcakes I decorated with buttercream in different colors, and got these Elmo and Oscar cupcakes, that kids REALLY love!
Sesame Street Cupcakes
- Inspired by these cupcakes of I am Baker.
For the chocolate cupcakes:
125 ml. (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
1 large egg
180 ml. (3/4 cup) milk
150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar
Pinch of salt
50 grams (5 tbsp.) cocoa powder
100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
60 grams dark chocolate chips
For the buttercream:
200 grams soft butter
350 grams sugar powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp. heavy cream
Food colors according to desired character:
Elmo – red, white, orange
Oscar – green, brown, red, white
- Make the cupcakes: preheat oven to 170c degrees and line a muffin pan with cupcakes paper molds.
- In a large bowl, whisk oil, egg, milk, sugar and salt into a smooth mixture.
- Add cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and chocolate chips and stir just until the batter is smooth.
- Transfer the batter into the pan and fills about 2/3 of height of each mold.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cupcakes swell, set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Cool completely at room temperature before decoration.
- Buttercream: in a bowl of a mixer with a whipping-attachment put butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, salt and cream and blend at medium-high until creamy and very stable.
- Divide the cream into bowls and add desired colors to each bowl for the desired color. Stir the cream until evenly painted. Leave a little white cream for the eyes.
- Prepare the cupcake: in the center top form a mouth by cutting with a paring knife (see video).
- Transfer the red or green into a piping bag fitted with a grass piping tip and drizzle freely around the mouth.
- Put the white cream in a small pastry bag without a piping tip and pipe small eyes.
- In the center of each eye put a mini chocolate chip to create pupils.
- For Elmo cupcakes: drizzle orange cream in the shape of a big nose.
- For Oscar cupcakes: drizzle red tongue inside the mouth and brown cream of eyebrows above the eyes.
- Keep the cupcakes in a closed container in the refrigerator up to 4-5 days. It is recommended to take them out 15-20 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- It is important to use gel food or powdered food coloring.
- It is recommended to watch the video to understand clearly how exactly to pipe the creams.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.