One of my favorite desserts during the winter is strawberries dipped in whipped cream with some chocolate chips. It’s simple, but absolutely delicious each and every time I make it.
This trifle is some-what a fancier version to my favorite dessert – layers of strawberries, chocolate biscuit, whipped chocolate ganache and cream make a beautiful and so tasty dessert. It contains no flour what also makes it great for Passover.
Chocolate, Strawberry and Cream Trifle
300-400 grams fresh strawberries
3-4 tbsp. sugar
30-40 ml. brandy
For chocolate biscuit:
2 large eggs
Pinch of salt
50 grams sugar
30 grams cornstarch
30 grams cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
For whipped chocolate ganache:
250 ml. heavy cream
200 grams chopped dark chocolate
100 ml. cold heavy cream
For whipped cream:
250 ml. heavy cream
2 tbsp. sugar powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Grated dark chocolate
- Strawberries: cut the strawberries into small cubes and place in a medium bowl.
- Add sugar and brandy, mix well and refrigerate for 3-4 hours, until the strawberries begin to secrete a little liquid.
- Chocolate biscuit: preheat oven to 170c degrees.
- In a mixer bowl whip eggs, salt and sugar until mixture is very airy and fluffy.
- Sift in cornstarch, cocoa and baking powder and fold gently until blended.
- Pour the batter onto a pan lined with baking paper and flatten in an even layer.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes, until springy to touch and set.
- Cool completely and grind it into small crumbs in a food processor with a steel blade.
- Keep the crumbs in an airtight container until assembly.
- Chocolate ganache: in a small saucepan heat 250 ml. of cream to a simmer.
- Pour the cream over the chopped chocolate, wait a minute, and whisk until smooth ganache is formed.
- Cool the ganache in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours, until it is completely cold.
- Transfer the ganache into a mixer bowl, add the cold heavy cream and whip until smooth and stable whipped ganache is formed.
- Transfer the ganache into a pastry bag with round piping tip.
- Whipped cream: in a bowl of a mixer whip cream, sugar powder and vanilla and until you get a stable whipped cream.
- Transfer the cream into a piping bag with jagged piping tip.
- Assemble the trifles: at the bottom of each cup put about 1-2 tablespoons of crumbs.
- On top, put some strawberry cubes (with come liquid).
- Drizzle over not-too-thick layer of whipped chocolate ganache, and top with another 1-2 tablespoons of crumbs.
- Put some more strawberries, and drizzle whipped cream.
- Garnish with chocolate and strawberries and serve.
- Add the decorations just before serving.
- Keep the trifles in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can use raspberries instead of strawberries.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.